Sunday, 29 May 2011

Quite a Day

This day happened to Dan a few weeks ago and we have been meaning to put it on our blog for a little bit, so here it goes.

7am: Breakast is interrupted by a phone call from the principal – a teacher is in hospital, she had her appendix out during the night. Another teacher stayed with her in hospital all night. The Principal is going in now and will be in school at 11. The other teacher is going home to bed and will be in about lunchtime.

8am: In school taking form class and then teaching my first ever RE lesson.

9am CEO pops her head into lesson and informs me that 3 members of SMT (Senior Management team) are going off site for our board meeting until after lunch and with the Secondary Principal in hospital, I and primary vice-principal are in charge of whole school, in case of emergency situation.

10am: I meet with our new ICT Systems manager to discuss current development issues including moving email system to Google. A quiet hour.

11am: Break time. Reminded by admin manager I have a 1.30 meeting with a potential parent who wants the British Education system explained, as they are currently in an American school. Then the site manager comes and informs me that we only have 12 days left of fuel for the generator and that we can’t get any more diesel due to a fuel crisis. Principal arrives back on site. I go teach as break finishes.

12pm: Teaching Year 10 ICT

1pm: I return to school having popped home for lunch. 1.30pm appointment doesn’t arrive. Informed teacher maybe coming out of hospital today, which is particularly significant as she’ll be coming to stay with us for a few days while she recovers.

2pm: I’m busy running around school organizing cover and plans for school tomorrow as there has been a general strike (bandh) called. We still plan to open but will not run buses and vans, which means around 1/3 of students won’t be in and 4 members of the teaching staff.
Also start to make plans for generator. Realise that we will have to start turning off generator at 3pm to conserve fuel instead of running it after school to allow staff and students to do work. We also have to consider the possibility of turning it off during the school day during periods when there isn’t so much demand.

3pm: School finishes. Whole secondary school lines up on roof as normal for notices etc. I explain tomorrows procedures. It has a particular impact on the students in Year 11, 12 & 13 who are just days away from starting their IGCSE, AS & A level examinations and so can’t afford to miss a day of school. Those who live beyond walking distance will make arrangements to stay with friends who live closer so they can get in the next morning.

4pm: Dashed home from school, Becky off into hospital to relieve the person who’s there with our teacher. I’m bathing Samuel and then entertaining him.

5pm: I’m about to put dinner on for Sam when I get a phone call from Becky to say hospital bill is huge and they need another 46,000 rupees (about £400). I spend nearly half an hour ringing round people trying to get enough cash together (hospital doesn’t take cards) and find people able to take the money into the hospital to pay the bill so she can leave. Eventually do.

6pm: Sit down with Sam to eat our slightly later than planned dinner. After dinner Becky & the teacher arrive home from hospital minus one appendix.

7pm Sam is just in bed and I am reheating dinner for Becky so she can have some. Our patient is Skyping family back in the UK to let them know she is ok.

8pm: Sam has been asleep for an hour, our patient is also asleep. Becky and I share some quiet time together and watch a DVD.

9pm Pregnant Becky goes to bed, I stay up for another hour reading. Then off to bed for sleep, ready for another (hopefully slightly less) eventful day.


Laura said...

Hey Dan and Becky
Loved this post, thank you for sharing about your "hectic" day. Not sure if you remember I wrote before saying we had an interest in coming to KISC next year. Well we have been very much leaning towards the "Nepal" option. We would love to get in contact more with you perhaps email/Facebook - whatever works best. We are still currently based in Northern Ireland so if you ever back in the UK sometime as well, we would love the option of "meeting up". Let us know your thoughts. Andy & Laura

Christine said...

It was great to read about a real day as it really was. It helps people pray and understand. Looking forward to seeing you in the summer.